The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Boat Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamble Midstream Mooring - how to get there

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamble Midstream Mooring - how to get there
    Posted: 28 January 2016 at 11:58am
I was offered a council mooring in the middle of the Hamble - between Universal And Mercury - and I have a one million dollar question now. How do I hell get out there to the boat?

I have collected the following options: 
-RAFYC or Warsash sailing club membership with dinghy storage
-Paying up and renting a space for a dinghy with Universal Or Mercury
-leaving a dinghy at Bursledon public slip (my preferred for now).

Any more ideas or anyone has an old dinghy/tender to get rid off?
snowy View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 4:03pm
I think you have the options covered there. Is there not any sort of water Taxi service?

sas View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by snowy snowy wrote:

I think you have the options covered there. Is there not any sort of water Taxi service?

Thanks Snowy - yes, there is water taxi, but it operates only during the day whilst I tend to fish in silly antisocial hours, hence need an independent transport.
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 9:35am
get yaself a small inflatable say 3meter
sas View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 10:57am
yeah - inflatable is a good option. Just trying to weigh up all pros and cons.

does anyone know if there is public access to water hose somewhere on the river?
sas View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2016 at 8:20pm
I eventually decided to pay Universal £1k to keep a dinghy afloat: their dinghy park is 50 yards away from my mid-stream pontoon. A lot of money, but still a good deal overall, compared to crazy marina's prices
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 8:04am
sounds ok good luck
MONKEY NUTS View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MONKEY NUTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 7:56am
hi sas

yes the is water available at hamble quay and warsash providing they have not been vandalised again. think they are coin metered 10p for 3 minutes or something like that. also if you fuel up the will be water available on the fuel birth

I know its bit late now but mercury have dingy park and the is always the option of bringing the boat in over night to a marina if the taxi is not running. don't know how big your boat is but for my 20 footer its only few quid for 1 night.
ARVOR 20
Name:- Quirky
TerryW View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 10:49am
A bit off topic but . . .do you know how bad the bottom fouling gets in the Hamble?

I was in Southampton Water at Cracknore Hard (opposite the Cunard Terminal) for a year.   In the course of 2 weeks in the Spring, Summer and Autumn I could get enough bottom covering to prevent my little Bayliner from planing.

Ever flaming 2 weeks I was under the boat with my scuba gear.  I can just feeel that cold to this day!

I eventually moved into Hythe Marina and the problem immediately stopped. The marina is part fresh water and just doesn't get this issue. It costs a flaming fortune though.

I got in contact with the local water authority and learned that it is due to all the fertiliser pumped over the fields in Hampshire running into the Test and then making the plant life grow in Southampton water. It is a real problem for the power station.

I have no idea whether this affects the Hamble in the same way but being forewarned is being forearmed.
Possibilities. Bayliner 2452 as per the avatar. Listening CH10 on the hour. Solent UK.

MMSI 235061726
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic