The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Beach Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gilkicker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deck-hand
Deck-hand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gilkicker
    Posted: 12 October 2015 at 9:41pm
Following the sad sale of my boat had my first beach fish (excluding lure fishing) for years on Saturday night.

Forgot what hauling tons of weed was like on a beachcaster!!!

On the positive side, actually really enjoyed it and caught loads of Whiting with keepers amongst them (now fish cakes)!!
In fact there were so many that I was getting double shots on Pennel rigs most casts.

Unfortunately no cod.......anyone else do any good on the beach front with cod........no gloating from you boaters!!

Cheers

Mark
Eccles View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eccles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 7:33am
Trouble is when there are loads of whiting about the codling don't really get a look in. I have heard though that the cod population is now improving again so we should see some eventually.
Eccles on Hayling
fishless View Drop Down
Deck-hand
Deck-hand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2015 at 9:48pm
Very true Eccles, they were like Pirahna!!!

On the optimistic side though, they form part of the food chain so hopefully where there are lots of Whiting you would hope there might be a cod or two.......might try a big bait on one rod next time that's a bit more resilient to the attentions of the Whiting....or alternatively the 'hair rig' theory with a small hook attached to a large hook in the hope of snaring a small Whiting and leave it out there for a while to see what it tempts!?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic