The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Boat Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help need with suzuki DT55 engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfortabtly numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help need with suzuki DT55 engine
    Posted: 15 March 2015 at 8:34pm
I recently sold my seahog hunter and brought a seahog seatrooper with a DT55 Suzuki 2 stroke engine. When i viewed the boat the water was just trickling out the pee-hole and the guy told me it needed a new water pump impeller and as i got the whole package for a good price i took a chance!

I have fitted a new impeller but the water flow has not improved so i got some wire, pushed it down the tube to see if i could free the blockage but no joy!

I then got a compressed air line and blow down it with that, still the flow from the pee hole it weak!

The engine starts no problem with the mufflers attached and water flows out the prop and the gearbox but weakly out the pee-hole!!

I went down at the ECA compound where i keep my boat on Saturday trying to crack the case and i discovered that someone has removed the thermostat!! 

So questions!
Is the fact that the thermostat has been removed part of the problem as the engine is not getting up to temperature so not pumping water through the pee hole?

Is it because im testing it with the mufflers the water pressure is not high enough? (always been ok with all my other engines!)

Im running out of ideas what to try next and the fishing season is approaching fast.

cheers
Mark

Mark - Saltwind - seahog seatrooper

rag & stick View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rag & stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 9:53am
Hi, I had similar problem many years ago with a two stroke yamaha. It turned out to be salt blocking the internal channels inside the leg. 
Osprey Oldman View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osprey Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 3:24pm
I reckon it's a prostate problem Mark.
solentraider View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solentraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 9:09pm
IIs the engine overheating? If it isnt water must be circulating. Take off the hood and look for where the water hose exits the head. If you find it disconnect the hose and and spray wd40 into bothe the hose and head. Also blow down the the tube and use strimmer cable pushing it right through till it comes out the peehole. Leit it soak overnight and try the next day. I did this with a yamaha 70 2 years ago and it worked a treat. My engine was not overheating though. The thermostat missing should not cause a problem. Let us know how you get on. Dont be sparing with the wd40, use an aerosl and insert the tube in as far as possible.
MONKEY NUTS View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MONKEY NUTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 7:53am
hi mark

if its more than just pee hole blocked we use rydlyme (http://www.rydlymemarine.co.uk/) flush is through let it do it magic for 1/2 hour them flush out. repeat couple few time and it should clear out all the water ways. then get a stat fitted or fit one your self as these do help the engine run better as it will get up to working temp and not be running cold all the time
cheers john
ARVOR 20
Name:- Quirky
comfortabtly numb View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfortabtly numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by rag & stick rag & stick wrote:

Hi, I had similar problem many years ago with a two stroke yamaha. It turned out to be salt blocking the internal channels inside the leg. 

Hi 
Im sure this is what is blocking the pee tube. 
Can i ask what you did to get it unblocked?

SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfortabtly numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Osprey Oldman Osprey Oldman wrote:

I reckon it's a prostate problem Mark.
Hi Martyn
Its certainly raising my blood pressure :-)

SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfortabtly numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:27pm
[QUOTE=solentraider]IIs the engine overheating? If it isnt water must be circulating. Take off the hood and look for where the water hose exits the head. If you find it disconnect the hose and and spray wd40 into bothe the hose and head. Also blow down the the tube and use strimmer cable pushing it right through till it comes out the peehole. Leit it soak overnight and try the next day. I did this with a yamaha 70 2 years ago and it worked a treat. My engine was not overheating though. The thermostat missing should not cause a problem. Let us know how you get on. Dont be sparing with the wd40, use an aerosl and insert the tube in as far as possible.
[/QUOTE]
Hi 
Thanks for that info!
I will be down at the ECA on Sunday so will give that a try!
Thanks to Colin Russell (wapello) for your call this evening the manual for this engine is really going to help so much if i have a drawing of the cooling system!

Cheers
Mark 

SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comfortabtly numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by MONKEY NUTS MONKEY NUTS wrote:

hi mark

if its more than just pee hole blocked we use rydlyme (http://www.rydlymemarine.co.uk/) flush is through let it do it magic for 1/2 hour them flush out. repeat couple few time and it should clear out all the water ways. then get a stat fitted or fit one your self as these do help the engine run better as it will get up to working temp and not be running cold all the time
cheers john

Thanks for that!
I have not heard of this before so i will get some if i fail to get water out the peehole at the weekend 
Cheers
Mark 

rag & stick View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rag & stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 9:39pm
Mark, it was a matter of taking the the leg to peaces and scraping the salt out. I remember it being a pig of a job and in those days I had a lot of patience. I would take advice from Monkey Nuts as he is in the trade and have given brilliant advice on engines to many of us on the forum. Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic