The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Boat Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What steering gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RETROHOWLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What steering gear
    Posted: 22†August†2014 at 4:58pm
I need a bit of advice on a mechanical steering gear set up.
Ive barely touched the boat this year due to other commitments and went down today and noticed the steering cable is on its way out, i dont know the make of the current set up so rather than go on a wild goose chase finding a new cable to fit, i figured i would just get a whole new system.
I am looking at the teleflex heavy duty kits like the teleflex ss137, but it says its suitable for power assisted steering systems, mine is purely mechanical, but i cannot find a heavy duty kit that states it is for manual applications, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

RETROHOWLA View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RETROHOWLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†August†2014 at 5:00pm
Its a 20 foot colvic, displacement hull, inboard on a shaft with a rudder, the rudder is massively oversized though, would be more at home on a 30+ foot vessel
wapello View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wapello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†August†2014 at 5:56pm
Take your old cable out take it down to the chandlers and get the same [teleflex] the worst bit is the worm gear behind the wheel full of grease, start from the stern fix first then threedle it fwd to the wheel it not a hard or long job 2 hrs,
Boat Name:ROSIE. CH 10.Colin

call sign:mmvs7

mmsi:235036653

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,
Doesn"t know what a patient man she married.
Flying Chequered Flag.
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RETROHOWLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†August†2014 at 8:05pm
I prob should of mentioned, ive never been to happy with the steering, the drive unit seems cheap and worn hence i want to go for a complete system.
Mick B View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 8:19am
Try and buy a self centreing system if you can.

I upgraded the basic (go anywhere when your hand wasn't on the helm) steering on my boat for a Telex mechanical system and it changed the way I fished immediatly.
I could troll through a shoal or drift over a mark, hooking and boating the fish and the boat never deviated from the course I had set on the helm, makes fishing alone a dream.
Its also safer because if you go overboard with the boat underower it will continue on its set course (until the spped drops off) and not turn and perhaps injure/kill you.

Dont pull out the old cable, you tape the new one onto the end and use it to pull the new cabling along the same route as the old one, unless you want to re-route it somewhere else?

hightower View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hightower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Mick B Mick B wrote:

Try and buy a self centreing system if you can.

I upgraded the basic (go anywhere when your hand wasn't on the helm) steering on my boat for a Telex mechanical system and it changed the way I fished immediatly.
I could troll through a shoal or drift over a mark, hooking and boating the fish and the boat never deviated from the course I had set on the helm, makes fishing alone a dream.
Its also safer because if you go overboard with the boat underower it will continue on its set course (until the spped drops off) and not turn and perhaps injure/kill you.

Dont pull out the old cable, you tape the new one onto the end and use it to pull the new cabling along the same route as the old one, unless you want to re-route it somewhere else?

You're talking about a non feed back steering not self centering aren't you?

Personally if you can afford it, hydraulic steering is the way forward. But kits start at about £400 so not cheap. But they are reliable and you don't have to worry about the same maintenance issues as cable steering.
Andy
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RETROHOWLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 10:02am
I have a lot of other jobs to do and would like to keep it simple like for like sort of thing. The no feedback systems state that unless you have power steering then the kit can only be used as a non no feedback set up?
I'm not going to be upgrading to hydraulic this year, I've got so much to do while its out of the water, I want a fast option
Mick B View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 10:40am
Originally posted by hightower hightower wrote:

You're talking about a non feed back steering not self centering aren't you?

Personally if you can afford it, hydraulic steering is the way forward. But kits start at about £400 so not cheap. But they are reliable and you don't have to worry about the same maintenance issues as cable steering.

Hi,
Yes thats correct, a non-feedback system..........senior moment Im afraid

Ive never had any issues regarding maintenance of my cable steering.
In eleven years of 2-4 days a week use I only once needed to strip and greased the control handle and re-set it and once had a cable (actually a solid wire) break.
However I did regularly grease the steering arms with Marine grease and sprayed the covered control linkages with silicone oil on the annual haul-out.

I also considered hydraulic steering but the cost was prohibitive and space very limited, the non feedback did exactly what it said on the tin, the perfect (low cost) steering for an angling boat imo.

Mick B View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by RETROHOWLA RETROHOWLA wrote:

The no feedback systems state that unless you have power steering then the kit can only be used as a non no feedback set up?

I don't know what manufacture your referring to but system I fitted was from Teleflex, I didn't have power steering and the non-feedback worked perfectly from day one.

I did an awful lot of research into the subject before I brought my system, I 'think' (hard) I got it from Italy, but even if you have to get yours from there its not a problem as we are all in the EU and shipping is no slower than the UK 'snail mail'.

I would suggest you contact all the steering companies direct and speak to their engineers who can advise you firsthand.

Good luck.
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RETROHOWLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†August†2014 at 11:16am
Nice one cheers chaps, if you guys are using NFB systems without power, then thats the answer, it is the teleflex kit that states that its for power steering only, but maybe thats just them covering their asses, in-case someone uses the kit outside of their tested application.

I think i will go with the teleflex kit i mentioned at the start, thanks again for the input guys Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic