The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Boat Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOG
    Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:04pm
Hope to get out this weekend now that my water pump has been fixed. Chances of a first Cod looking slim judging by the reports that fish have moved west and Retro Clap and trawlers Angry have scooped the rest up. But stick at it I must, because there's a fish out there that owes me 30+ lb of squid and cuttle with a chip bounty on its head. Not to mention the diesel.

The reports of near misses etc. got me thinking about FOG. The last couple of mornings the Fog has been quite thick.  Being new to this, any advice on safety, reports, kit etc. I don't want to come unstuck, go out when its not safe or not go out when I could have. Any advice and pointers greatly received.

Sam
Sam
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:16pm
 ais and  radar  mate
boatfisher View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:19pm
Fog = don't go out. If you get caught out make sure you go very slowly. Listen outside of your cabin for sounds. 

Preparation is everything. Make sure you have your sound making equipment on board.

Ideally radar reflector on board, AIS transponder, Radar if you are brave enough to go out.

Practice blind navigation with your depth sounder at some stage. (Don't know what it is? get some training)

If you get lost call the coastguard with your last know position as soon as possible and course and speed you are steering.
Nauti Boat Charters
Nauti One - 11.2m Flybridge Cheetah Catamaran. 2 * 350 HP Yamaha
Gunwharf Quays Portsmouth
snowy View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:39pm
The majority of radar reflectors have no reflective qualities at all. The only real answer is AIS and Radar. I have read the reviews on Radar reflectors and they are scary. Even the real expensive ones, like Echomax, give a very poor signal.

I have neither on my new boat yet and wont venture out without them. It was bad enough when I had all the kit!

Given time and clear radio transmissions the Coastguard can home in on your radio signal and give you a location and a course to steer.
islandgirl View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:41pm
Turn on nav lights, 
use your horn (one long blast every two min for power), 
know where you are and if underway and have to hold position do so out of busy transits etc.
Stay shallow if at all possible (will avoid the bigger vessels) 
Put crew in lifejacksts (if not already in)
Radar and AIS but another good tip is to have a back up ap on your smart phone either the navionics charts and / or AIS live. (Shipfinder is a good one) Sods law says that your nav kit will fail at the worst possible time! (Been there, done that) 
Post look (and listen) outs and have the engine ready if stationary.

Merry Fisher 695 - Island Girl II
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:43pm
if  you think  the  fog is  bad  now  its reall bad  in spring  summer  so its  worth  investing  in ais and  radar   you  will  use   it  all the time  i use  mine  on clear  days  just  to  practice
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:47pm
i still wont  go out in fog  on  my  own   will  wait  for it to  lift   im still  scared  mate we got a  ferry  in london  at woolich  everytime  a little  bit  of  fog  and those  chaps  cancel  the ferry   they only  go 200 yards lol and  the  cancel lol
Muffinman View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muffinman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:48pm
i was caught out in it once, i found my gps plotter was the best thing to have i just headed back slowly on the exact route i came out. 

i knew to all this ais transponder and radar reflector. 
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 5:00pm
at what speed  would  you  reccomend  paul
snowy View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 5:09pm
Dead slow Ray, tickover in gear is sufficient. Low revs enables you to hear better as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic