The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Tackle Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which reel should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cabin-boy
Cabin-boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mini Ha Ha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which reel should I buy?
    Posted: 14 January 2013 at 11:45am
Hi, I'm new here having found this forum in order to seek some advice. 
I bought my boyfriend a Daiwa Longbeam x 14ft beachcaster rod for Christmas. I am now looking to buy the reel to go with it for his birthday, but not being a fisherman (well lady really) I have not got a clue what to look for! Please could anybody give me some advice as to what type of reel is good for not a huge amount of money!!! I'm a bit bamboozled by all the brands and don't understand what the numbers mean! I assume the bigger the rod the bigger the reel but don't want to buy the wrong thing. 
I'm based on Isle of Wight so assume I'll need to buy online, unless anyone knows somewhere round here that's reasonable. Also, does he need anything else or is he ready to go once I get him the reel? Thank you in advance for any advice!
Mini
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:01pm
Welcome to the forum.

I used to have that excact rod. I used to use the pen surf master 850 fixed spool. Perfect for that rod and distance casting. Google it they are around £50 each.
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:02pm
He will obviously need line, 15lb breaking strain monofilament is perfect.
ekyone View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:41pm
Diawa sensor is a good mono line not too pricey (less than £10) for about 1000m he should be able to fill his reel several times from that
Sea Fox Charters
hightower View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hightower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:44pm
Before you start buying your boyfriend any kit I would find out if he prefers a Fixed spool type reel or a multiplier. I personally hate multipliers as I never managed to get them to work properly for me and do a lot of night fishing. He might also have a preference to what he likes to use.

Report back here with your budget once you've found out and I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction.
Andy
ekyone View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:48pm

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't the longbeam designed for F/S reels?

Sea Fox Charters
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:51pm
Correct al daiwa longbeam 14ft is a fixed spool surf rod.
hightower View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hightower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by ekyone ekyone wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but isn't the longbeam designed for F/S reels?

If it is then your decision has been made already Thumbs Up
Andy
Eccles View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eccles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:59pm
Because I do a lot of night fishing and can't be bothered to fiddle with a multiplier reel in the dark, I have used fixed spool reels for years. Oddly enough, my current favourites are Daiwas because they seem to be robust and have nice wide spools which aid distance casting if required. Their cheapest reel is the BF5500 which you have to hunt around for but at around £30 is excellent value in my opinion. If you want to spend out and get something a bit tastier, then go for the Opus 5000 or Opus plus 5000 which hold plenty of line but are not overly heavy. (Get one for me while you are at it Big smile
Eccles on Hayling
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic