The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Boat Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sad Day at Sea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad Day at Sea.
    Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:45pm
Sad for a couple of reasons. it was a good day, calm conditions, smallish tides but foggy and damp. There was literally thousands of birds of all shapes and sizes apparently trying to migrate off before this weekends artic weather.

The fog and mist must have completely disorientated then as they were flying in all directions and some of them were completely knackered flying very close to the surface of the sea.

Several landed on the boat, we had goldcrests, thrushes, blackbirds, fieldfares and robins all over the boat, sitting on rods and anything they could get a purchase on.

The sad thing was a large number did not make it and we saw loads going into the sea, while trying to get to the boat, and struggling on the surface before succumbing to the sea and drowning. It was pretty awful to watch and there was nothing we could do.

Second sad thing, but insignificant compared to the fate of the birds, was that we had to watch the boats all around us landing cod and congers whilst we had virtually nothing. One strap conger and a spotted ray was our total between four decent anglers, fishing properly with the correct baits.

Rob Hickin next to us had at ten cod whilst we were there before we pulled the hook and left him to it.
The Black Pig View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Black Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 6:17pm
bless those little flying creatures........however i'm more concerned about taking advice from a catchless skipper, how do i get hold of Robin Hicken ?Big smile 
Boat Name:    Graceful Sprinter
Type: Fairline Targa 47 GT
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 6:27pm
Feel for ya Andy it's like when ya buddy catches and all ya do is net em
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 6:36pm
We saw the birds, Geoff even had one land on his shoulder. We struggled with the fishing aswell, 2 cod biggest 14.5lb, a couple of congers, a couple if nice whiting and that was it.
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:28pm
Goes to show those deep marks are only. Good on a big tide with fish ing an hour either side. Of slack don't give up on it high
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:35pm
slack tide didnt produce sat or today. all the fish came when the tide was running. if anything slack water was pants both days.
snowy View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

Goes to show those deep marks are only. Good on a big tide with fish ing an hour either side. Of slack don't give up on it high

Yes but everyone else caught except us and one boat had ten!!
Ahab View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:47pm
Perhaps rob had a load of witch doctors on today lol
billy the fish View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billy the fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:55pm
talking of witch doctors, ru at the riser this sat nite andy ? i will bring my voodoo shad and rub it on your bald spot it will bring back your mojo Wink
if you have to measure it, its too small!!
The Black Pig View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Black Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 8:03pm
The piggy will be there :-) I guess you all buy me a drink as it's my first time......do I just sniff out the guys smelling fishy ?
Boat Name:    Graceful Sprinter
Type: Fairline Targa 47 GT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic