The Solent Fishing Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Forums > Beach Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing in Easterly Winds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Cabin-boy
Cabin-boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing in Easterly Winds
    Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:36pm
I am only a cabin boy with limited intellect and intelligence, but I do know when I am stood with rod in hand on a wind swept beach and the wind is from the east, fishing is difficult, whereas with westerly's winds the fishing improves. I know from previous listings that this is the case for some forum members too. What I dont know is why?  so tell me why please
ekyone View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 9:45pm
I have absoloutlely no idea. I just know it to be true, I too would like an explination if any one has one.
Sea Fox Charters
snowy View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:03pm
It is supposed to be something to do with air pressure but I dont know what. Something along the lines of if it falls below x millibars or something like............................................
skillpot View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skillpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:52pm
i thought the same untill the last 4 days i fished east beach selsey and bagged up on the bream, had loads upto 2lb 8oz and ballen wrasse upto 2lb. maybe its because east beach faces east it doesnt hurt the fishing there so much i dont know. all i know i thought the same and have blanked enough fishing them untill the last week. also had a nice plaice from hayling so they do feed and you can catch on easterlies maybe just not so much
Eccles View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eccles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:07pm
My experience (mainly on Hayling in the last few years) is similar. I.e. you can get bites but not as good as when the wind is southerly/westerly. I did read a scientific explanation a few years back which I can't recall in detail but seems to be something to do with there being less oxygen in the water so fish are not so lively. Anyway, it's all going to change in the next couple of days so by next weekend we should all be a lot more busy. There is also another factor (applies to night fishing only): When there is a high bright full moon fishing can be rubbish and I have proved that to myself on more than one occasion. The only explanation I know of is that it is so bright that the fish think it is still daytime and don't bother to come inshore.
Eccles on Hayling
Burt View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:42pm

I can tell you why pressure and light levels affect fishing and I've heard theories about winds affecting oxygen levels and tidal/current movements but i have no idea why wind direction makes a difference.

It might have something to do with easterly winds bringing colder temperatures in from Europe, which lowers water temperatures, while westerly winds bring in warmer temperatures from the Atlantic. Again thats just a theory though.

If your not going to eat that fish put it back!

Please take your rubbish home with you!
ekyone View Drop Down
SFG Club Member
SFG Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 9:19am
There will always be exeptions to the rule and we will occasionally have good days during easterly winds. I think the big bright moon is easily as bad as easterly winds! I have often fished under a really bright moon and blanked when the time of year, time of tide, size of tide, wind direction and every thing else says you should be catching fish, but the sea seems totally devoid of life!
Sea Fox Charters
blanker View Drop Down
Cabin-boy
Cabin-boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:40am

I wonder what the bods from the oceanographic dept would say?

My son -in- law claims its to do with the fish feeding around weed that is kept out at sea in easterlys and comes ashore during westerlys . . not sure at all about that theory.

Burt View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 1:17pm

I'm not sure about that either. Is it the same all over the country or just the south coast?

Why don't you send the guys at the The National Oceanography Centre an email asking them to explain it. They're based in Southampton so they should know all about the area.

I'd be interested to hear what they say.

If your not going to eat that fish put it back!

Please take your rubbish home with you!
blanker View Drop Down
Cabin-boy
Cabin-boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:52pm
Do you know  I think I will
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic